Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hashimoto's Hypothyroiditis

So, I went to the doctor to find out why my body randomly gets hives and swells. I say randomly because I couldn't make it happen even trying to test out things for allergic reactions. It didn't follow a set cycle and it didn't hit me when I was totally stressed. We did the entire allergy test on my back and then he called for a blood test too. He was good and checked for a bunch of stuff. Well, I am allergic to things that didn't surprise me like dust mites and a little to cats. I am also allergic to weed, grass, and a little to garlic. Never really noticed the garlic before so that surprises me.
Well, after talking to me and seeing the allergy test on my back he asked about thyroid problems in my family. Ha! Well, both my sisters and my mom all have thyroid problems and are on medication. That wasn't a good sign, I guess.
The day I went back to see the blood results he was telling me every test was looking good. Cholesterol good, etc. Then he looked at the thyroid which was just a little low. But the other tests show that my TSH is 38.6 and should be less than 5 and my Thyroid Peroxidase is 121 and it should be < 60. Yipes! So, Those levels are extremely high trying to make sure the thyroid produces enough because the thyroid isn't working. I am not happy. I am not happy at all about that.

A problem that requires lifelong medication to feel normal was not in my life plan.

So, what am I going to do? I will torture myself as I self experiment with diet for a while to see how good I can get it with healthy eating and supplements. Now that I know the truth so many things are making sense to me.

I know why I lost my drive to get up early and get that early morning workout done. I know why when I think of the best things to do it usually entails sitting or laying around. It doesn't mean playing frisbee or being active in any way.

The best part is I know why that muffin top just won't go away. The worst part is that there is no real hope for the muffin top to go away ever. Working hard is OK with me and always has been. Working hard and having zero results - that is just depressing.

2 comments:

glen said...

dad also has hypothyroid, right?

brynna cadman said...

Yes, dad has it too. Oh, and mom said that her dad had it too.